Thursday, June 18, 2009

On The Road To Beautiful

Yesterday I went off on my own for a time of prayer, thought and solitude. It was great. First part of my journey was in Dun Laoghaire. Just thanking God for the blessing I/We have received while living here. Then I whipped down to Wicklow town to pray for our future and the Journey God has in store for us. Really excited and nervous about it all. Needed to do this to still my heart and mind as they've been a tad stressed over the last while (still waiting for paperwork to be done!) So after all of this I had a meeting in Redcross which I headed off too. On my way I passed a car that had pulled over at the side of the road. I'd a real urge to stop and check it out. I did. After reversing back down the N11 (scary fun!) I got out of the car and there was a woman (Mary)in her 50's sitting at the side of the car. Her left front wheel had a blow-out and she didn't know what to do. She had phoned her son to see if he could get some help for her.

Now Mary seemed well stressed at the situation if not a little over reactive to it all. I asked if she had a spare (she did) and I told her that I could change it for her. At that she broke down in tears. Mary then proceeded to tell me that she was on her way home from the hospital. Her husband (Liam) was meant to have an operation that day but it'd got cancelled (4th time in 10 days!) She talked about how she felt so alone and how hard it had been over the last while. She was tired of driving back and forth to the Dublin Hospital. How could this happen!?! I felt such compassion for her. She was in such a state and so broken-hearted. Amidst our conversation she used Jesus' name in vain in a way that Quentin Tarantino would be proud of. I told her that I'd change the wheel, and while doing this another van stopped to help. Out popped 2 Itinerants (Father and son) and they just got stuck in to help. I stepped back a little as the Dad was showing his son how to change a tire. I found it a little funny, however, Mary was sent over the edge! After we'd finished she asked what she could give us. The Dad said "Don't worry love it was nothing". I interjected and told him what he had done was very cool and to look at all the traffic just passing by and no-one else stopping. He paused and was like "huh, yeah I guess". We put everything away in the boot, I shook his hand and he and his son were on their way.

Mary broke down again I couldn't believe what had just happened. Her words were " Jesus, I'm so alone this was awful". I asked her to pop the boot as I wanted to show her the huge rip in the wheel. She stated "Jesus save us I could of been killed". I said to her " Yes you could of and yes he did!" She just looked at me. There on the side of the road I got to share the kingdom with Mary. I asked if I could pray with her, she was totally up for it. I prayed, she wept. It was awesome. I left her without telling her my name but knowing that our meeting would leave her confused but full of peace. As I drove away I couldn't but love what had just happened. I was late for my meeting but I didn't care. I had just experienced a Kingdom moment.

I wish I was this obedient all the time and see what God is doing around me. I get blinded at times by my own situations that this was a great reminder of who God is and his heart for his people

No comments: