Saturday, June 20, 2009

More Than Meets The Eye...



So at Midnight on Thursday I went to see the new Transformers Movie. I love movies (most movies, not all!) I really enjoyed this one. So far (as summers go) there have been some cracking movies. Star Trek, Terminator, and Wolverine I've really enjoyed. These are your typical "Summer Blockbusters". Bar Star Trek all have gotten mixed reviews. I'm not one to read to much into a review as it's only ones opinion (unless it's someone I know and respect) but I've noticed a slight change in some of these movies.

God very often uses movies and music to speak to me. It's been like this for years and I love it because I love movies and music! God knows this and I know that's why He does it. God usually uses the things we are passionate about to speak to us. We need to be aware of this and look for it and train our mind to be that way inclined. I love the way God does this.

Anyway, what I've noticed over the last while in a lot of these movies has been the theme in them. If you look at the top 5 money-making movies in 2008 you've got (not in order) Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Hancock, Indiana Jones, Wall-E and so far in 2009 you have Watchmen, Star Trek, Wolverine, Gran Torino (odds are high that Transformers will be in this list too). The theme of "new beginnings"/origins and heroes is quite obvious and strong in these films. Now most Directors are smart in tapping into what will be popular with an audience or the human spirit. The movies mentioned have made the most money because people are going to see them (probably more than once). Whats the attraction? Why now are movies of pure fantasy doing so well. I believe this shows a hunger in people that they what a hero. A hero that they can relate too because they know the background to this hero. They know the struggle it is to be(come) this hero. People like the idea of being protected, looked out for, someone fighting for them.

The greatest (fiction)hero of the last 70yrs to be spawned from the human mind has been Superman. (I know my brother would disagree but Batman would come a close second). Now I'm not going to write a parrell between Superman and Jesus now but trust me it's uncanny! (I'll write it some other time) Why do people love hearing about other heroes and not Jesus. Is it because they don't know the full story? We (christians) are so quick to tell people about his death that we forget to tell them about his life. We know why he died but why did he live? Why did he come? Why show up when he did?

If people were to know the complete picture as to who Jesus is and what he's all about, would it make a difference?

I think it would...

1 comment:

Ferg said...

Great thoughts. I can't wait for Transformers 2. I bought another t-shirt today in honour of it. XL kids - sweet.
Funny, I read that bit about superman, laughed to myself at what rubbish it was and then saw your remark that I'd disagree!
Really intuitive to notice the trend in movies and so so true that we focus way too much on Jesus death instead of his live.
If it was all about the cross, we'd be saved dead men!!