Friday, June 5, 2009

Forgiveness

There's a great scene in Schindlers List were Oskar Schlindler is talking to Amon Goth (an SS Officer) about the power of forgiveness. Oskar is trying to convince Amon that there's more power in forgiveness than just killing someone because they've disappointed you (something Amon did on a regular basis) He convinces Amon for a time and it's a fascinating watch. He's not convinced completely though and resorts to killing (for him, the easy thing to do!)

I've been thinking about this issue for some time now. Why we love to be forgiven and yet struggle to forgive. In every relationship that we ever experience there is always a time for forgiveness. Weather the forgiveness is received or given it should be a great thing, but we seem to struggle with it. I've been thinking about how forgiveness is not a one-off thing but an ongoing lifestyle. Jesus was asked about forgiveness. How many times? was the question and his answer is almost silly but seriously challenging! 70 times 7. You see his followers were looking for a limit to it, and Jesus' response was :- Limit? There is no Limit!
Forgiveness is meant to be part of our lifestyle, but its so difficult. I know I find it difficult at times and it'd be easier "to kill than forgive" But who does it kill? Over the last number of months I've found myself in situations/relationships were I ask myself ; Forgive Or Kill? I try to define the right and/or moral thing to do. Where forgiveness doesn't happen, death (the kill!) occurs. Death of conversation, trust, love, healing, relationship. Of course it has to be a two way thing and that can sometimes be the reason why we (I) don't forgive. If I think I know the outcome do I really want to play my part? It's difficult but is it meant to be or should it get easier if we truly understood what Forgiveness is.
Matt 6 v 12 "Forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors"

Forgive As God Has Forgiven Or You'll Not Be Forgiven.

Challenging...

No comments: